[Mod's note: please forgive the delay and awkward timing of this year's exchange. I was out of the country in May/June and will be out of the country and offline for a chunk of August, so I have opted for a later exchange rather than a largely foreshortened writing window for participants!]
Sultry in September 2016 Rules & FAQ
- Sign-up period: June 17th - June 26th
- Assignments to be distributed by July 10th
- Deadline for first-time participants: September 4th
- Deadline for returning participants: September 11th
- Archive opens: September 18th, 2016
By popular demand, we will reveal to you the name of your recipient at your request. Some people find it easier to write or to personalize a story if they know the identity of their recipient. Other people find that thought absolutely horrifying! Now, you can have it either way. If, at any time during the writing period, you wish to know the identity of your recipient, you may ask us. Since other writers do not want to be "spoiled," we ask that you please keep this information to yourself!
- All stories must be a minimum length of 1,200 words. Stories must be complete and in their entirety.
- Submissions must be new, complete, and previously unreleased, and written specifically for the assignment you receive.
- If you have defaulted on ANY previous Slashy Santa-sponsored exchanges, you will NOT be permitted to participate in this round. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule. This may be a disappointment to some of you, but it is far more disappointing for a hard-working participant who strove to meet the deadline to discover they did not receive a story because their writer dropped out.
- Manners are mandatory!! Be kind to your readers, be kind to your writer, be kind to your overworked admin. Just as you are required to turn in a finished, beta'd story, you are required to acknowledge the person who wrote for you in a timely fashion. If you're going to be out of town when the archive opens, consider making an LJ post to that effect, or alerting the moderator if you think it's going to be more than 3 or 4 days before you can get in touch with your writer. Even if you *hate* the story you are given-- and we certainly hope that's not the case!--common courtesy dictates that you should at least say "Thank you for writing this for me." If you cannot gracefully thank the author who wrote for you, you may be asked to sit out the next round and contemplate the meaning of the word "Courtesy."
- Stories shall not be released to the general fandom on any group, list, or website until they are released on the Slashy Swap collection. After the publication, feel free to post or archive your work anywhere you would like.
- Authors are responsible for posting their own stories on or before the due date at the Slashy Swap collection at AO3. If you have any questions, difficulties or need an AO3 invitation, please email the moderator: firstname.lastname@example.org
PROHIBITIONS / RESTRICTIONS
- No fiction involving a minor in a sexual situation, even in flashback, no matter how vaguely alluded to, will be permitted. Period.
- No songfics.
- No het pairings as anything other than secondary characters or plots.
- No bestiality. (Tolkien characters that manifest as cognizant beings are fine. If in doubt, ask us.)
- No RPS (real person slash) will be accepted.
- No blatant Mary Sue, Marty Stu, or self-inserts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Can I ask for femslash?
Yes! We had our first femslash stories during the 2013 My Slashy Valentine swap, and we'd love to have you join us.
Q: I see a main focus on Elves, Men, Valar and Maiar. What about Dwarves and Hobbits?
A: In previous swaps there was less emphasis on Dwarves and Hobbits, but due to the release of the Hobbit movies, that's starting to change. We're happy to try and accommodate any request, though it is dependent on having writers able to fill these requests. You can help this process by spreading the word to your fellow Dwarf and Hobbit writers.
Q: I just received my assignment and it fits perfectly into part of a series I've been working on. Can I use it anyway?
A: We'd prefer your story to be original and created solely for your recipient, but so long as your submission fits the assignment you received, can be read and understood as a standalone, and it's new and unreleased, then go ahead.
Q: Yikes! I've been working on my story, but there was a family emergency and I don't think I'll make the deadline. What should I do?
A: Let us know! The Slashy Swap team have families too and understand that emergencies sometimes happen. The sooner you tell us, the easier it will be for us to come to a mutually agreeable solution.
Q: Unfortunately, the emergency has turned into something longer term and I won't be able to finish my story after all.
A: Again, please let us know as soon as possible so we can find a replacement to finish your assignment.
Q: I signed up for the previous exchanges, but never turned anything in. Can I still participate?
A: No. It simply isn't fair to those who met their obligations, or to the person who didn't get a story.
Q: Do I need to have my work beta read? I don't have one!
A: While we will not strictly enforce the use of a beta, we strongly encourage it. At the very least, please proof read and run a spell and grammar check. If you need help finding a beta, let us know and we'll direct you to some beta resources. Remember, you're writing a gift for someone, so make your story as perfect as it can be.
Q: HELP! I received the worst assignment in the world! What were you thinking? I can't write this!
A: It was likely an oversight. Please contact us and we will do what we can to find another assignment that is more to your taste and ability. If you already confirmed you would accept it, we can't make promises, but we'll do the best we can to help.
NOTE: In some rare instances, it may not be possible for a request to be filled to the requestor's exact specifications. This may occur if no author is willing to write the elements in the request (some examples are BDSM, fetish, rape, MPREG, or character death). In this case, the participant will be asked to revise their request so that we'll be able to match it.
~ * ~
So, are you ready to sign up? Good! Click Here!