If so, you're in luck because it is time for My Slashy Valentine! The exchange focuses on the Elves, Men, Dwarves, Valar and Maiar of J.R.R. Tolkien's legendarium. Maybe it’s Gildor and Glorfindel you love, or perhaps Boromir-on-Theodred strikes your fancy... or maybe Lúthien and Thuringwethil is your OTP? From the Years of the Trees to the Fourth Age, from sultry tales of the Silmarillion to romances in the Ring Wars – spread the word, recruit your friends and fellow authors, and have some fun!
- Sign-up Period: December 1st to December 17th
- Assignments to be distributed by December 22nd
- Deadline for first time participants: January 31st
- Deadline for veteran participants: February 7th
- Archive opens: February 14th, 2020
- All stories must be a minimum length of 1,200 words, which translates to roughly 3 full pages in Word. Stories must be complete and in their entirety.
- Submissions must be COMPLETE, new and previously unreleased, and written specifically for the assignment you receive.
- Manners are mandatory!! Be kind to your readers, be kind to your writer, be kind to your overworked admin. Just as you are required to turn in a finished, beta'd story, you are required to acknowledge the person who wrote for you in a timely fashion. If you're going to be out of town when the archive opens, consider making an LJ post to that effect, or alerting the moderator if you think it's going to be more than 3 or 4 days before you can get in touch with your writer. Even if you *hate* the story you are given-- and we certainly hope that's not the case!-- common courtesy dictates that you should at least say "Thank you for writing this for me." If you cannot gracefully thank the author who wrote for you, you may be asked to sit out the next round and contemplate the meaning of the word "Courtesy."
- Stories shall not be released to the general fandom on any group, list, or website until after the archive opens on February 14th. After the publication date on this site, feel free to post or archive your work anywhere you would like. Authors may post their own submissions on the Slashy Swap LJ community after the publication date on this site if they choose.
- Authors are responsible for posting their own stories to the Slashy Swap collection at AO3 on or before the due date. If you have any questions, need an AO3 invitation or have difficulties, please email the moderator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No fiction involving a minor in a sexual situation, even in flashback, no matter how vaguely alluded to, will be permitted. Period.
- No songfics.
- No het pairings as anything other than secondary characters or plots.
- No bestiality. (Tolkien characters that manifest as cognizant beings are fine. If in doubt, ask us.)
- No RPS (real person slash) will be accepted.
- No blatant Mary Sue, Marty Stu, or self-inserts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
NOTE: In some rare instances, it may not be possible for a request to be filled to the requestor's exact specifications. This may occur if no author is willing to write the elements in the request (some examples are BDSM, fetish, rape, MPREG, or character death). In this case, the participant will be asked to revise their request so that we'll be able to match it.